Friday, November 14, 2008

Colors Theory

There are just some things in life we will never know. I think about these things a lot. I think more about the things in life that just pass by normal people. We will never know how others percieve us, how they view us, what their first impressions are. We will never know if the amount of toilet paper we use is a "normal" amount, how would we? We will never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. And then, of course, I think of the more far out questions. We will never know how others visually view the world. A couple of years ago I was thinking about color and how people view it. Abby sort of touched up on this in an earlier post, which kind of reminded me of this.

My colors theory is how do we know that other people dont see different colors as I do? I know that there are color blind people, and I guess all they see is black and white and gray. But for the other people, how do I know that the color blue for me is also the color blue for them? What if my blue is their red? The color that they call blue is actually the color that I see as red, but they call it blue because thats what they have been taught to call it. Their visual perception of the world would be far different from mine. I mean, the same shapes would apply, but the colors that they see would be like a scene from a drug trip for me.

Actually, this theory has brought up several other questions in my mind. When someone is blind from birth, what do they dream about? When we dream, we see images of everyday life in our minds, but what would blind people see? Do they see images at all? What do deaf people think about? They cant talk inside of their heads like we do. When we think, we hear our own voices talking in our minds, but what do they hear? And then, think of people that speak different languages, they speak their own language inside their minds.

I think about some weird things, I really need a job or something. But Im sure that would just prompt more questions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deaf people can talk in their heads. If they couldn't then they couldn't think.

Abby Miller said...

here's another one: how is it that a stranger can walk right past us? I mean, think of all the previous events that had to happen in order for that one person's world to collide with your world in those few brief seconds. and then, what if our paths NEVER cross again?! just you and that stranger in that split second.... mind boggling.