Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tuesday Night Happenings

Tonight, again, I went to Greek IV. I touched up on what it was two posts ago. Again, it is like a church service for greeks on campus. But tonight was a little different for me. I wasnt just a spectator tonight, I was actually part of the band! It was great!

Ever since I have become greek, I have been going to Greek IV off and on.....more off than on though. There are a few things that I really dont enjoy about this service. Im not just being pesimistic here, I mean, I think that its great that a group of greeks are getting together every week to worship our Lord. But, I feel like there are some holes that need to be filled. First of all, I love worship. I love singing and closing my eyes and feeling the words and music and giving this beauty back to God. But at Greek IV, worship is awkward. It seems like the band doesnt practice together, they arent sure when to come in, get the words wrong often......its awkward for all of us. Secondly, something that really really bugs me, it seems that the people that come, and who run it, are there for the wrong reasons. I feel like some of the people are really fake, just putting on thier Christian face. When they talk to you it seems that they could really care less about you, they just want to show you how good of a Christian they are by coming to church. Thirdly, something that really really REALLY bugs me.......they shift thier attention away from God. They are more concerned with numbers. During discussion, it seems that they would rather discuss how to talk to our greek brothers or sisters about Christianity, and how to get them to come to Greek IV more than they discuss God! Church service isnt suppose to be about numbers, its about giving and worshipping our Lord! And then, I sometimes get the feeling it is more of a therapy session than a church service, we talk about how we can improve ourselves through Christ. I mean, everyone wants to change, and change for the better, but shouldnt we focus more on how to improve the world, improve Gods kingdom?

So last week, after the service, I walked up to the stage and asked them if they needed any help with the band. I told them that I play guitar and can sing, they said that they actually needed a couple of new guitarrists, so I said I would be there early next week with a guitar and warm up with them. Turns out that this week they were crazy short on people.....there were two other guys and me in the band. So I warmed up with them about a half hour before service, and Andy asked if I felt comfortable playing tonight, of course I said yes, and that was that. It was kind of tough though since I had never played the songs before and had about a half hour to learn three songs, but I managed.

Im going to play it low key for a few weeks, but I think that I would be able to change a few things, at least, thats what Im hoping. If you have ever met me, I am pretty blunt about my concerns (Todds driving haha), so I dont think that I should have a problem expressing my concerns to the people that run Greek IV. I just hope Im doing the right thing here. And hopefully they are open to my suggestions and dont get angry. Plus I have a little bit of experience with worship bands, so maybe I could get the band organized and we could rock out in style. I hope Im not in over my head. But I guess its really not up to me.....

To end, this has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about, but Jane sent me a picture that she had taken that was in reference to a Renoir painting. I saved it and played with it in Photoshop for a while to try to make it look like an actual painting that looks like it couldve been done by Renoir, and this is what I came up with. Im pretty proud of it.


3 comments:

Trent said...

Good job with the band thing and the picture. I think the numbers thing is pretty typical of a lot of Christians. You come from a little "different" church background (Horizon). It is easy for us to get hung up on the numbers and forget about the relationship part.

Todd said...

Cool picture. It is great that you are getting involved in band. Keep on focusing on God!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm famous on your blog! Thanks for making the picture look soooo good.... bet Renoir is smiling too!