Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back at School

Well, I came back to Purdue on Thursday morning. I swear I was the first person back on campus, I was at least the first one back at ATO. Immediately I checked my situation with my classes and such. Again it wasnt quite as easy as you would think to schedule just one more class. First of all, the money I paid a few days earlier didnt actually go towards my hold, it went towards my tuition, which financial aid would have covered once I got the money. So I was running around all day Thursday trying to get this resolved, running from building to building, and calling and emailing people. Finally, Friday morning they got everything squared. It was a very messing situation. Then I got online to finish scheduling one more class, and none of the classes I needed to take were available. Not one single class had any room for me. So I had to sign up for some agronomy class. I dont even know what agronomy is.

And again, I will have no money this semester. I am getting a check from the school here in a couple of days for $10,112. Your probably thinking,"holy crap Ben, you will have a TON of money for this semester." Once again, wrong-o. Rent for the rest of the year (plus late fees) is around $4,700. I have to pay my mom back $3,000. I have to pay my dad back $1,100. Meal plan for lunches at the house is around $400. Dues for the fraternity are about $300-$400. That leaves very little money left for living. So, of course, I need to get a job. Ive been looking around already and have asked at a couple of places if theyre hiring, but havent had any luck yet. I might be able to get a job at a sorority cleaning dishes, and I get a free meal out of it, which would be great because I wont be able to afford dinner. And I wanted to get a second job on top of that. So hopefully I will make enough money to survive this semester. Ive already been budgeting, I bought a ton of Ramen noodles for dinners and some other cheap food like PB&J. Its gonna be a challenge this semester, but I think I can do it. Im gonna have to skip out on going out to the bars a lot with my friends though, and control my impulse buys.

So yeah, thats whats going on here. Im really excited to be back, and pretty motivated to do well this semester, for some reason. Usually I dread it when classes have to start back up, but Im pretty excited now. That will probably change in a week.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I Googled Agronomy:

"Agronomy is the science and technology of using plants for food, fuel, feed, and fiber. Agronomy encompasses work in the areas of plant genetics, plant physiology, meteorology, and soil science. Agronomy is the application of a combination of sciences like biology, chemistry, ecology, earth science, and genetics."

There you have it,should be interesting??? LOL

Love ya

Jan D-M said...

Ben, you should become good friends with Steve Kiefer this semester. He's an agronomist.

Can I tell you a boring story from my first year of college? I'm gonna anyway. Nannie-nannie-boo-boo.

As a senior in high school, I spent all the money I had saved for college on a 10-day trip to Florida with my best friend. Spending-money was supposed to be my responsibility in college. But I had none and I had no job. Sooo, my dear mom would send me a five dollar bill once a week. Five dollars! Even waaaay back then five dollars did not go far. I lamented each time my friends ordered pizza from Pat's (at UMaine). I saved every cent, literally, in a Coke can. I'd pick up pennies on the street. It was crazy. I survived to tell the story. :)

Um, I will also tell you, though, that $5 could buy quite a few of the 25 cent cups of liquid pleasure that the fraternities sold. That kinda explains the fact that I had TWO freshman years. I don't think the cups are 25 cents anymore.

Study hard. Have fun playing in the dirt.

Anonymous said...

Hey the pictures turned out nice, i like the one with the color streak going over the like 3 balls. and idk if that ramen is good for you, but its really cheap. I started to learn html finally.

It won't let me marquee(lame) so its pointless to use any of it. but i learned a little. lol

have a fun semester. lol