Saturday, March 7, 2009

Active Thursday

I learned two life altering things yesterday. Two things that dont really apply to life, but are some amazing things to know.

I learned how to do a backflip, and learned how to solve a rubik's cube. Those are pretty big deals.

So yesterday it was really nice outside and warm so I decided to do a little "porch fratting", as we like to call it. A bunch of us in the fraternity go out front and toss a football or play cornhole or just sit around and talk. But Lauren, an ex-cheerleader, happen to be out front yesterday also. So Lauren, Jason, and I were having handstand contests, trying to do one handed handstands, and just doing random tumbling stuff together. It was probably pretty odd to passerbys seeing two guys and a girl doing all of these gymnastics stuff surrounded by a bunch of other frat boys doing manly frat boy things. But anyways, Jason has been trying to learn how to do a backflip lately. This sparked my interest. I can do a backflip on a trampoline and diving board, but have always wanted to do it on the ground. I asked them how to do it, they told me the basics, but I still wasnt really sure how. So I had Jason spot me, did the old "Im going for it!" and backing out thing a couple of times, then I just went for it. And you know what, I landed it! With a little help from Jason of course. Since then I have done about 10 backflips, Im getting a little better but still dont have the confidence to do it without a spotter. Ill keep working on it.

Also, I learned how to solve a Rubik's cube. Aj has been playing with one for the last couple of weeks, learning to solve it himself and he finally learned how, so I told him to teach me. Its pretty conmplicated. There are different algorithms for different situations and about a hundred million different steps involved. I solved it once, but I keep forgetting the algorithms so I have to go back to Aj and have him tell me. Again, I still need to work on it to get it all down.

But yeah, those are some pretty major things to learn, especially for one day! I should learn things like this everyday!

1 comment:

Abby Miller said...

sounds like you and AJ are a lot alike. who else has the time and energy to solve a rubik's cube?!