Thursday, July 24, 2008

Heather

Today I was working on my moms house, doing some painting, building a cellar door, tearing down a swing set, just doing some repayment because she bought me tires for my car. At about noon, I had to go over to Lowes and buy some stuff, and I figured while I was out I might as well get some Wendys because its close. There is this one intersection over by Wendys that is sometimes occupied by one or two homeless people, trying to get money or food or something. And everytime I drive by them, I have this feeling that I should stop and talk to them. Im not so much interested in giving them food or money, but I just want to talk to them, get to know them. But I think that Im always scared that they will be mean or get angry. So today, of course, there was a woman standing at that intersection with a sign saying that she is stuck, struggling, and hungry. Instantly when I saw her, my stomach began to feel sick. But it felt sick for me, because I knew that it would another time where I would drive by and try to forget about avoiding them. So today, I drove by, went to Wendys, and ordered some food. But today I found myself ordering two meals. When I got my two meals, I drove back over to her, parked my car, and asked her if she would like to have a meal with me.

I tell you what, this is one of the more enjoyable experiences this summer. I got to know her. Her name is Heather, and she is a really nice woman. We sat there on the curb of the Wendys parking lot for about 20 or 30 minutes chit-chatting away, talking about where shes from, her kids, how she ended up in Plymouth, we talked about me going to college, me being jobless, how "nutritous" our meal is, stuff like that. She is different than me, almost an opposite, and I like that. I love meeting people who are different than me. I hope she enjoyed meeting me as much as I enjoyed meeting her. And it makes me feel good that I accomplished something today.

2 comments:

gramma said...

I have never been prouder of you than I am at this moment reading all your blogs. You make an old woman cry. I love you very much.

Todd said...

Very cool. What a great experience. Later.