Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Puddles of Life


So a couple of years ago I lived in a dorm that was one of the furthest from campus. Almost everyday, I would have to trek just short of a mile to class on these crumbling, sunken sidewalks. And every time it would rain, the sidewalks and roads became havens for puddles. Puddles everywhere. And I hated walking through the puddles. Everytime I would walk to class after a rainfall, I would get there and my shoes and the bottoms of my pantlegs would be soaked from the wet ground and large puddles. So what do you do when you dont want to get wet? You avoid the puddles, right? So thats what I attempted, to avoid the puddles.


Well, on one particular day, I was walking to class once more after a rainfall, trying to avoid all of these puddles. Its such a pain sometimes walking around some of the gigantic ones, walking through the grass, walking through the street, or sometimes I would even have to cross the street, walking far out my way to get around a puddle. Then I got to thinking, why am I putting so much effort in avoiding these puddles, it seems like more of a hassle than if I would just walk through them. Then, of course, I thought of how it related to our lives.


Why do we always put so much effort in avoiding our puddles in life? I think that we should trench through our puddles, without fear. Yeah, sometimes the puddles are actually deeper than they appear, or sometimes they seem to stretch for ages, but we eventually get through them, right? We eventually get to the other side, to dry land, is this not true? I think that we should embrace our puddles. We should try to enjoy walking through our puddles. But it will be hard to walk through them, knowing that we are getting wet though. But we will eventually dry, won't we? So get wet. And like it. How can we go through life being scared to get wet, never knowing what its like, even though we know we will dry?


Now, I hope you realize that this is a metaphor. But, nowadays, I do enjoy literally walking through puddles, with no fear of getting wet. I like getting to class with my shoes and pants wet and saying, "Yep, Im a puddle walker." But sometimes my fears of dampness in life are harder to overcome. But Im still trying to enjoy feeling the soginess of life, knowing that I will eventually be dry.

No comments: