Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Music Pt. III

So a couple of days ago I read Todds post on music, and then Trents post about the subject, and it has also got me thinking. It was a pretty good post about how when he was younger he always took music lessons, like piano lessons, and they would grade him on how well he could follow the sheet music, and how strikingly different it is now that he plays in the worship band and can just create the music as it comes. But the other day we had an impromptu concert at his house with me on the mountain dulcimer, Trent on the guitar, and Todd on the piano. We were just playing basically the same chords, but had no clue where we were going with it, freely playing as we went along. And you know what? It sounded pretty amazing, the concert turned out really well. Todds aunt even sent me an email saying how beautiful our concert was.

But what got me about Todds post was how this applies to our lives. Society has us playing sheet music, telling us exactly how to live our lives with no exceptions. And if we dont succeed on societies way of life, then we fail, just like if you dont play music exactly like its written, you fail. But if you can just create your own music with no boundaries or exceptions, you never know what you can create. It could turn out to be something beautiful, like our impromptu concert.

I was walking to class the other day, just listening to my ipod and dodging cars, when it hit me. No, not a car, a thought. Somewhere in the past couple of years, I have been creating my own music in life. I feel like I have been living an impromptu life. When I graduated high school, I had my whole life planned out. I was going to get a masters degree in mechanical engineering, find a wife in college, buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler after graduation, make $75K a year after college, have 2 children, a pool house, and live the perfect life. My life was just sheet music. But later on, I dont know if it was just common sense that kicked in or what, but I have completely changed my views on life now. I could have reached that goal though. I could have put all of my efforts in for that masters degree and Jeep Wrangler. But now, I am living life as it comes. I am a senior in college now, and I still have no idea what Im going to do or where Im gonna go. And honestly, I dont care. Its actually pretty exciting. Everyday is a blank canvas for me. I can create any scene I would like. Currently, my only set backs are graduation, I would like to graduate college eventually, and student loans, I need to make enough money after graduation to pay those. But other than those two things, I can do whatever I want. I can play whatever chords I feel like playing. Thats what hit me the other day, not a bus, although I have been close a time or two, those drivers just dont care.

2 comments:

Abby Miller said...

perfect funny ending to a post like that

Lori said...

Just keep that pool house in your plans.......Mom has to have a place to live some day.

LOL

Love ya