Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Industrial Design






These here are some of the projects I did spring semester of last year when I was in the Industrial Design program. I started in this program during my freshman year, which was actually my second major, my first being Engineering. Its funny how my progression of course of study has transformed from Engineering to Industrial Design (which is part engineering, part drawing), then to Fine Arts (which is all drawing and art). Hopefully this one will stick.
The first product is a shower system that I designed for the Interzinc Design Competition. We had to design a water dispensing object made out of zinc.....thats all of the requirements. It was pretty broad. So I came up with this little thinger. I got the idea from a lamp that I discovered while researching different forms, a lamp that surrounds the person, which is also in the shape of an arc. So I applied it to a shower. Its made of three different parts, and even rotates! Wow! This product is actually going to be published in a book comparing American design to Chinese design, or so Im told. The shower and side glass and floor were made in a 3D program called Rhino, which is sort of like AutoCadd. Then it was rendered in Alias, which just applies materials to the 3D shapes. Then the girl is actually one of my friends at Purdue, I just took a picture of her then outlined it in Photoshop, where the rest of the project was done.
The second one is one of my favorite products that I designed just because I like Apple products. Its called the Apple iBall and its a digital camcorder. This was one of the most difficult projects of my college career just because it took many many many hours to create all three orthographic views in Photoshop. Yep, I had to start from scratch and make a realistic 3d looking camcorder. Pain...in....the...butt. But it turned out pretty good. Then the perspective views I drew by hand and rendered them with markers, which also turned out great, considering we had never used marker on any other project.
And the last one is a coatrack. I thought it looked pretty cool but my teachers werent too fond of it. The project was a design competition that required us to design a product with aluminum extrusion as its process of being built. Apperently a coatrack isnt a very inivative or creative way to use the process of aluminum extrusion. But I still think it looks cool. And dont ask me why I named it SoBold. Because I just dont know. This was also made in Rhino, Alias, and Photoshop.
Oh by the way, dont steal my ideas. K thanks. Ugh, Im going to bed now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, who knew you had so much talent? LOL

Great job!!

Jan D-M said...

Benjamin, I think you're designs are awesomely cool, even the coat rack. I love the shower head design and how you created the picture overall.

:)

Anonymous said...

Ben, your talent in engineering and industrial design, combined with your fine arts major... all i can say is LOOK OUT WORLD !!!! YOU are going to do GREAT!!! ( i wish i had an Arc Angel shower in my house!)

basedonfaith said...

Amazing! You must get your talent from me!!! LOL
Gramma